To measure your level of hearing, one of our audiometric officers will conduct an audiometric test or hearing test.
1. The person to be tested will be asked to go into the soundproof audio both and asked to put on a set of head phones.
2. The audiometric officer will then show you how to respond when you hear a series of tones in your ears.
3. Testing starts on one frequency at a volume you can hear.
4. The volume (measured in decibels) is then decreased until you can no longer hear it, identifying your threshold.
5. This brief process is repeated for both ears on a number of frequencies (typically 8 frequencies), usually taking about 5 minutes.
6. The thresholds are plotted for both of your ears as two separate lines on your audiogram.